Cuddington Golf Club
Cuddington Golf Club was opened on 1st January, 1929. The course was designed by H S Colt in conjunction with John Morrison and Frank Harris Brothers who produced a downland course of good length and variety. The greens were large and offset to emphasise the correct line of play.
Initially the course was virtually tree-free but over the early period of the Club a major tree planting operation was conducted which involved, it is said, the planting of 10,000 saplings.
At 6,000 yards the course was then considered long and acquired a bogey of 78. The course has subsequently increased in length to over 6,600 yards with a current par of 71. A Practice Ground was created in 1967. In 1999 all the greens were totally reconstructed to USPGA specifications.
The new greens were first played upon in June 2000 and whilst this work was being completed a number of tees were moved and improved. Improvements to the course continue.
The Clubhouse, opened in June 1929, was designed by A C Burlingham, and intended to accommodate 200 full male members and a like number of other categories of membership. Over the years the Clubhouse has been altered internally to provide more appropriate accommodation for members and staff and their needs. Our current membership amounts to around 750 including Lady, Junior and Social Members.
The Club’s first Professional was John Donaldson who remained at Cuddington until 1966. John Donaldson was succeeded by his Assistant, Harold Guy, who himself gave great service to the Club until 1982.
Initially the Club was greatly reliant on the Taylor family for the financing and management of the Club. On 1st January, 1958 a Members’ Club was created. In 1991 the Club finally acquired the freehold of the Club after years of negotiations.
Cuddington Golf Club is steeped in history but has a progressive view to the future. As a Members’ Club with a superb course, a beautiful Clubhouse and a vibrant membership the future looks bright.